Hari Raya Puasa or Hari Raya Aidilfitri is a religious Muslim festival celebrated in Singapore that marks the end of Ramadan. It is also known as Eid Al-Fitr in other parts of the world. The Muslim community of Singapore commemorate this occasion with friends and family for expressing gratitude to God and asking for forgiveness. Hari Raya is the best time to feast with loved ones, exchange gifts, and forgive those who have wronged or hurt you and start fresh.
Here are some reasons why people absolutely love the auspicious festival of Hari Raya.
- Hari Raya is the festival of homecoming when everyone returns to their homes to celebrate with family, friends, and relatives. Family reunions during this festive season bring everyone closer and it is also a great way to teach kids the value of culture and traditions
- People in Singapore wear their finest clothes for Hari Raya celebrations known as ‘Baju Melayu’ for men & ‘Baju Kurung’ for women. Later, they visit the mosques followed by meet & greet with loved ones
- Kids get green packets from elders and relatives as a token of love that includes money. The Muslims are also encouraged to give ‘zafat fitrah’ which is collected by the mosques and distributed to the less privileged and needy
- Food is one of the best things about Hari Raya celebrations. Every household prepares traditional home-cooked meals that includes ketupat, lemang, rendang, and keuh raya. The day went by relishing delicious food while being surrounded by loved ones
- Open houses are one of the amazing things about Hari Raya celebrations. People put on their traditional clothes, gather together at a place, and catch up with old friends and distant relatives who they only see once or twice a year
- The festival of Hari Raya brings reconciliation between families and friends. Everyone in the family asks for forgiveness from each other that foster relationships. The friends and family members give hugs to each other as a symbol of forgiveness
- Exchanging Hari Raya gifts is a famous tradition that allow people to exchanges love and wishes with friends and family members. Cakes, traditional sweets, and Hari Raya hampers are some incredible gift ideas that you can offer to your near and dear ones as a token of affection and gratitude.